07 September 2015

Show, Show, Show and Tell!

I had to email Gillian for more information on this beautiful old quilt...  Here's the story.
  
The patchwork wall hanging is believed to have been made by Mary Jane Hannaford, an important early Australian quiltmaker who started quilting in her 80s in the 1920s. There are 9 known quilts, 3 of which are held by the National Gallery in Canberra. Some are on display in the antique quilt exhibition at Hazelhurst Gallery. All have this whimsical folk art style of pieced applique.

I bought it on ebay 6 weeks ago from a lady who'd advertised it as shabby chic for a buy-it-now price of $54. Next week I'm meeting with the National Gallery curator to have it verified and talk about what should be done with it. 


Now I want to make one similar, using my scraps.

Glynis almost finished the binding of this little quilt.

Glynis has been prolific this month, check out this lovely quilt above and the totally different striking one below.


Heather's Bedford quilt is going to a charity as is the fun quilt below from donated fabrics.

Lynne Allitt's 'show stopper' Show and Tell! And nothing to do with Patchwork or Quilting.  But Lynne did make and was wearing this pin that she'd made using a few old trinkets including an old coin that was given to her as a child...  look very closely at the coin!
Now here's something different!  Have you ever heard of a Four Pence Coin?  Ridiculous isn't it, why would England produce 4 penny coins?  just asks the question doesn't it... did they have 8 penny coins as well, 7 Penny coins?

I know they had 1/2 penny coins (halfpenny), they even had 1/4 penny coins (farthing)... I remember the halfpenny here in Australia when I was a child, we never had farthing's in Australia or 4 pence coins either.  We had three penny coins, 6 penny coins and so on...  but a Four Penny Coin???  That's just weird isn't it.
Here is something I found on Wiki... I do love Wiki  :-)  And I do love the story!

The prospect of the introduction of a general circulation fourpence coin was raised in 1835, when the MP Joseph Hume spoke in Parliament in favour of its introduction. His reasoning was that the coin was convenient for paying cab fares.   The coin was first introduced in 1836, but proved unpopular with cab drivers as they now simply received a fourpence as payment, whereas previously they would often receive a sixpence without the demand for change.

I wonder what other brilliant???  ideas did MP Joseph Hume came up with I wonder!
I guess we've got to thank the British for making our old money more interesting than the rest of the world who only ever used the Decimal Currency  :-)
I found this one on Ebay, it costs $75 US if you are interested.

More information about the 4 penny coin found here on Wiki!

Penny has just finished this enormous hand pieced and hand quilted beauty.

Rita is using up her scraps for her next quilt... beaut way to use up scraps isn't it.
Mmmm... complicated seams at the back, I still can't work it out.

Rita has finished the top of her Mario Brothers Quilt top... we've watched the blocks come together over the months... and now... all done!  Wow!
I couldn't decide which photo I liked the best, the one with the light behind it or below out of the light, both look great really.

Sarah is finishing off this ginormous Hexie quilt... look at this lovely photo below  :-)
Sarah's son Ben wanted to make a Hexi so he did and he signed it, he didn't realize most quilters sign their quilts on the back  :-)  how lovely.  Good on you Ben!

Stephanie made this stunner this month... but it's her feet that made us smile  :-)

 And, I had to take a close up of Rita's necklace.   When I first saw her I thought she'd just gone through a very busy Spiders Web!  but no, it's a very delicate and beautiful piece of work.

No comments: